The Division of Maribyrnong consists of:
- Moonee Valley City Council,
- Part of the Brimbank City Council,
- Part of the Hume City Council,
- Part of the Maribyrnong City Council, and
- Part of the Melbourne City Council.
Named after the Maribyrnong River. The name 'Maribyrnong' is variously believed to be:
- an Aboriginal word for 'yam' or 'edible root', or
- derived from the Woiwaurrung word 'Mirrangbamurn', with 'mirrang' meaning eye and 'barmurn' meaning ringtail possum, or
- from the traditional name 'Mareingalk', country belonging to the Mareinbulluc
The AEC has proposed a redistribution to Victorian electoral boundaries that includes the Division of Maribyrnong. More infromation regarding these proposed changes can be found here.
You can check your current electoral enrolment via the AEC.